Renting in the private sector
The Private Sector Housing Team is part of the Housing Options Service managed by Derby Homes. We work proactively with tenants, landlords and agents in the private rented sector to help people access good quality, affordable housing.
Do you have properties to rent?
We offer landlords
- A FREE tenant finding service
- Access to a caseworker who will assist you and your tenant in getting a tenancy underway
- Affordability checks to ensure your tenant is able to meet the rent costs
- Housing benefit payments made directly to you
- A dedicated benefit assessor to check your tenants benefit claim
- Financial assistance for tenants to help meet the costs of securing a tenancy in the private rented sector
- Inspection of your property in-line with the HHSRS (Housing Health and Safety Rating System)
We are dedicated to working with landlords and agents in the private rented sector. Our caseworkers have a wealth of knowledge on housing, welfare benefits, homelessness legislation and housing related issues
What would you like from a tenant to secure your property?
- A cash deposit?
- Rent in advance?
- Gas safety check paid for?
- Payment for fire detection installation?
- An Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) paid for?
- Minor repairs in the property paid for?
- Deposit guarantee?
- Tenancy support?
- Housing benefit assistance?
- Regular tenancy inspections?
We will be happy to negotiate on any reasonable request – just call and ask.
We offer tenants
- Advice and assistance about your options for housing in the private rented sector
- A home in the area of your choice
- Affordability checks to ensure you are able to meet the rental costs of a new tenancy
- Signposting and referrals for assistance with money management/debt and other barriers that may be preventing you to access your own tenancy
- Financial assistance to help meet the costs of securing a tenancy (subject to affordability)
- Assistance to claim any housing benefit you may be entitled to
- Any housing benefit entitlement paid directly to your landlord