Keeping a pet can bring you many benefits. We want to encourage responsible pet ownership from our tenants.
Irresponsible pet ownership can cause a nuisance to others, which is why we need to be clear about what is and isn't allowed in your home. The terms of keeping a pet in your home can be found under section 7 of your Derby Homes Tenancy Agreement .
We also have a specific policy to clarify what we mean by responsible pet ownership. It also tells you about any enforcement action we can take against irresponsible pet ownership.
Some key points from the Pet Policy are:
- You may only keep pets at the property with our written prior consent
- You are responsible for any pet that is brought into your home
- If you allow any pets to foul you must clean the affected area immediately
- You must not breed any animals or birds for commercial purposes without our permission
- You must not keep any animal classified as dangerous under the Dangerous Wild Animals Act 1976 or the Dangerous Dogs Act 1991
These terms form part of your tenancy agreement. If you own a pet or are thinking or owning one, you should make sure you are familiar with them. The actions we may take against irresponsible pet owners can be found in the Pets Policy.
Requesting permission to own a pet
If you want to have a pet in your property, you’ll need our permission. Download and complete the Pet Ownership Permit Request form and email it to us, or post it to:
Derby Homes Ltd
839 London Road