Universal Credit

Universal Credit is a new single payment for people who are looking for work or on a low income. It replaces the following benefits (sometimes referred to as "legacy benefits"):

  • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Income Support
  • Child Tax Credits
  • Working Tax Credits
  • Housing Benefit.

Universal Credit Frequently Asked Questions


The current position in Derby (updated 17 January 2018)




Universal Credit was rolled out for new, single claimants only, as of Monday 25 January 2016.


Current status: 


There will be no further new Universal Credit claims for new, single claimamts (as of 31 December 2017). Anyone making a new claim will remain on legacy benefits until Derby's Job Centre moves to a full, digital service in July 2018


Anyone already on Universal Credit will remain on it.


Next key date: July 2018


Derby's Job Centre will be moving over to the full digital service in July 2018. New claims for both single claimants and families will transfer to Universal Credit from July 2018.


What can you do to prepare?


There are two main things you can do to prepare for Universal Credit.


Get Online – Universal Credit is designed to be claimed online. Your claim starts on the day that you submit it to DWP. If you do not have access to the internet, job centres have computers you can use. If you are not confident using a computer, the job centre can tell you about local services that can help you.


Sort out a budget – As Universal Credit will be paid in one single payment, you will need to budget. The Universal Credit Personal Planner can help you prepare for the changes that the new service brings.


Download more information about making your Universal Credit claim


How will Universal Credit be paid to me?


Universal Credit payments will be made directly to you each month. This means that instead of Housing Benefit being paid direct to us (DDH), it will be paid directly to you as part of your Universal Credit payment. You are then responsible for paying us for your rent. Find out more about our rent payments methods including setting up a Direct Debit.


Find out more about your ‘Claim to Payment Assessment Period’.


What help can I get?


If you need support with budgeting , the Derby Homes Money Advice Team can help.


For free, impartial advice on:


  • debt management
  • help applying for benefits
  • money management, including bank accounts, budgeting and savings


To make an appointment contact us.


Once your Universal Credit claim is made we can help.


What Derby Homes can do for you?


  • Provide proof of rent for UC claim
  • Confirm any arrears to arrange alternative payment arrangement
  • Give you IT help and support to get online
  • Sign up to My Derby Homes to access your rent account
  • Income Team members to discuss your account
  • Range of payment options


Remember once you’ve made your claim