Some of our properties are fitted with at-home alarm equipment, sometimes called telecare equipment. This equipment is designed to help keep you safe.
It allows you to contact Derby Carelink any time of the day or night if you need help in an emergency. The equipment also links the smoke alarm in your property to Derby Carelink. This means that they will contact emergency services if there is a fire.
This equipment is installed free of charge and is classed as a necessary part of the property. You cannot refuse to have it fitted.
Derby Carelink is a 24 hour service providing an instant response at the touch of a button. It offers personal safety and security to enable you to live independently within your home. The telecare equipment gives you a link 24 hours a day between your home and the Carelink response centre.
Here’s how the service works:
- Alarm activated - If one of your sensors is activated, a message will be sent to our response centre.
- Call received by Carelink operator - A trained operator will take the most appropriate action to support you.
- Appropriate action taken - This could be contacting a family member, carer, neighbour, doctor or the emergency services, or by sending out the Carelink local response team.
Who does the service benefit?
Carelink can help if you:
- live alone
- have physical disabilities
- have sensory impairment
- are forgetful or confused
- have learning disabilities
- are at risk of violence or abuse
- are at risk of falling
- are concerned about bogus callers
- have dementia which gets worse at night (called ‘sundowning’)