Problems paying your rent

Problems paying your rent

Paying your rent is important. You need to make sure you don’t get behind with your payments, otherwise you could lose your home. If you can’t pay your rent, you must contact us straight away. If you’re on a low income or benefits you could get some or all of your rent paid for you.

Contact the Customer Service Team for advice on claiming Housing Benefit or to make arrangements to pay your rent.

If you are already claiming Housing Benefit or Universal Credit, you will need to report any change in your circumstances to Derby City Council as this may affect the Housing Benefits you receive.

Don’t leave it too late to get help.

Dealing with debt

If you owe money to other people or you are struggling with your finances help is available. If you are a Derby Homes Tenant, email us on or contact Derby Money Advice on 01332 643395

If you are not a tenant, you can still get help by contacting Citizens Advice (South Derbyshire and City) on 033 330 9002 (advice line).

One of the ways we can help is by offering you an appointment with an independent money advisor with Derby Money Advice.

The advisor can help you:

  • plan your weekly and monthly budget
  • sort out your debts, identify the most important debts, and take action
  • negotiate with the people or companies you owe money to
  • give advice on court procedures, help with replying to court documents, and represent you at court appearances, where appropriate.

Mental Health and Debt

A free guide, "Mental Health & Debt" from looks at the relationship between mental health and debt and uses the guidance of a number of organisations (including Mind) to look at the issues in a practical way to show that you're not alone.

"Dealing with your debts may sound like a nightmare, but once you start it's much easier and less stressful than leaving them to fester."

Martin Lewis
Money Saving Expert

Don't get involved with a Loan Shark

If you have borrowed money from a friend of a friend, from someone calling at your doorstep or someone you have met in the pub or social club and you don't have a receipt or know how much you have left to pay back, then it is possible that you are dealing with an illegal money lender or loan shark.

A loan shark is someone who lends money without the licence required by the Consumer Credit Act 1974.

If you think you're a victim of a loan shark, contact Stop Loan Sharks on 0300 555 2222 in strictest confidence.

Credit Unions and Affordable Finance

Derbyshire Community Bank (trading name for Erewash Credit Union) and/or Midlands Community Finance can offer you loans at affordable rates so that you do not have to go to a loan shark.

Food Banks

There are various charitable food banks and schemes in Derby City. You can search for foodbanks in Derby and Derbyshire on the Financial Action  & Advice Derbyshire website.