Claiming Housing Benefit

If you need help with your rent (and Council Tax) payments, you will need to apply for benefit assistance. Universal Credit "Full Service" was introduced in Derby on 11 July 2018. This affects how most people at working age can claim help with their housing costs. If you or your partner are of working age, it's likely that you will have to make two separate claims: Universal Credit for help with rent and Council Tax Support for help with Council Tax.

Claiming for help with your rent

If you need help with your rent payments, you will either need to make your claim with Derby City Council or by claiming Universal Credit with the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) depending on your circumstances.

You will need to make a Housing Benefit claim with Derby City Council if one of the following applies:

  • both you and your partner are state pension age
  • you are living in Specified Accommodation (and you need care, support or supervision)
  • you have been placed in temporary accommodation by the Council
  • you receive Severe Disability Premium (SDP) as part of a benefit award or remain entitled to SDP

To claim Housing Benefit with Derby City Council, complete the Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support claim form.

In all other circumstances Apply for Universal Credit on GOV.UK for help with your housing costs.

Council Tax Support

If need help with your Council Tax payments, you will need to claim with Derby City Council using the Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support claim form. You will need to claim using this form even if you claim Universal Credit for rent.

For more information on a range of benefits, go to Derby City Council’s website.

If you need advice with claiming benefits, we may be able to help. See our webpage on the Benefits Advice we offer.

Contacting Derby Benefits

Derby Benefits are based at the Council House.

Derby Benefits
Customer Service Centre
The Council House
Corporation Street

The opening hours are Monday to Friday 9:00am to 3:00pm. These times are for both telephones and for customers visiting the Council House.

Benefits and Council Tax advice services will be available by appointment only at the Council House. These can be booked using the electronic booking system in the Council House, or over the telephone.

If you want to make an appointment by phone, or if you have any claim enquiries:

01332 640444 for Derby Direct Benefit enquiries

01332 255116 for benefit enquiries by text-phone

Or you can email: 

You can also take any claim proofs or report any changes in your circumstances, to any housing office.