We try to get things right first time. However, we appreciate this doesn’t always happen. We take all complaints seriously and believe we can learn from our mistakes to improve our service in the future. 

What to do

You can make a complaint by:

  • Telephone
  • Letter
  • Visting us in your Local Housing Office, the Council House or at our Head Office

Our complaints procedure

We always try to get things right first time but we appreciate this doesn’t always happen. We take all complaints seriously and believe that we can learn from our mistakes to improve our service in the future.

Please talk to us if you are dissatisfied with any of our services.  You should first contact the staff who provided the service.  If you remain dissatisfied you can speak to their line manager. If you are still not happy you can make a complaint and we will follow these easy stages:

Stage one - dealing with your complaint

 We will:

  • acknowledge your complaint within two working days
  • write a full response to you or update you within ten working days.

Stage two - if you are still dissatisfied

You must notify us within 15 working days of receiving our stage one response.

 We will:

  • contact you within two working days
  • meet with you to discuss your complaint
  • write a full response to you or  update you within ten working days
  • send you details of your right to appeal.

Stage three - appeal stage

You must appeal within 15 working days of receiving our stage two response.

 We will:

  • arrange for your appeal to be heard within 20 working days by an appeal panel.
  • provide you with written confirmation of the appeal panel decision.

The appeal panel is made up of three members of the Tenant Panel.

If you’re still not satisfied once all 3 stages of the Derby Homes complaints process is complete, you can then contact the Corporate Complaints Officer at Derby City Council or the Local Government Ombudsman

The Local Government Ombudsman Advice Team

For advice on making a complaint, or to make a complaint over the telephone, please call the Local Government Ombudsman Advice Team on0300 061 0614 (Calls to 03 numbers will cost no more than calls to national geographic numbers (starting 01or 02) from both mobiles and landlines, and will be included as part of any inclusive call minutes or discount schemes in the same way as geographic calls. Please note that calls may be recorded for training and quality purposes.

The Advice Team are available Monday to Friday from 8.30am to 5.00pm, except for the period 9.30am-10.30am, Tuesday to Friday. You can also text ‘call back’ to 0762 480 3014 Yyou can contact us using a textphone via the Text Relay service (formerly Typetalk).

You can also text ‘call back’ to 0762 481 1595 (texts are charged at your normal message rate). And you can contact them using a textphone via the Text Relay service (formerly Typetalk).


We will acknowledge your petition within four working days, investigate it within 15 days, and then report it to our Operational Board. You can hand petitions in at any council office.

Insurance claims 

We will respond quickly to any claims against Derby Homes or our contractors.  We will visit your home and send the completed claim form to our insurance section, or the contractor, within ten working days of receiving your claim.

Remedy and compensation

If we’ve made a mistake, there are several ways we try to put it right. We can:

  • make an apology  
  • carry out work, such as repairs  
  • review a decision we’ve already made 
  • improve the way we do things and train our staff so the mistake doesn’t happen again.  

 If we find you’ve been disadvantaged in some way, either by the cause of your complaint or in pursuing it, we’ll consider paying you compensation. Generally, compensation will be a payment in recognition of distress or inconvenience caused to you. The person who investigates your complaint will determine the right level of compensation. 


Paying Compensation to You

We are committed to delivering high standards and will pay compensation to you if we fail to meet our published standards in the following areas:

Right to Repair

You have the right to have certain repairs done within set time limits.

If we do not complete a qualifying repair within the set time limits, you have the right to ask us to arrange for another approved contractor to carry out the work. If this contractor fails to carry out the work, you may get compensation.

The timescales for carrying out repairs can be found here:

Missing a home visit appointment

We will pay £10 if we miss an appointment made with you. This includes if we are more than 30 minutes late for an appointment and fail to contact you to let you know. This applies whether the appointment is written or verbal.

Compensation can also be claimed if we have arranged for an external contractor to visit you and the appointment is missed.

For more information about missed appointments go to:

We will pay £10 for each letter that isn’t acknowledged within 3 working days

This compensation scheme covers letters addressed and delivered to a specific housing office for issues that are able to be resolved by that housing office (for example, if you contact your Local Housing Office to inform them of a fly-tipping issue on your street).

Please note, this does not apply to emails.

Communal Door Entry system

We will pay £5 for each four week period that the system does not work.

Compensation is not payable where the loss arises as a result of negligence by the tenant or failure to confirm with tenancy conditions, or if it is the result of a third part (for example, water, gas or electricity suppliers).

Useful Contacts

Customer Experience Officer

Derby Homes
839 London Road
DE24 8UZ


Corporate Complaints Officer

Derby City Council
The Council House
Corporation Street


Local Government Ombudsman

PO Box 4771

Tel: 0300 061 0614