Avoid eviction | Privately renting
We have a dedicated team to support both landlords and tenants in the private rented sector to access and remain in good quality, affordable housing.
This can be by:
- avoiding eviction
- minimising rent loss
- finding tenants or properties in the private sector
- by giving advice and signposting to other service where problems arise or communication breaks down
The Covid-19 crisis and subsequent lockdowns and restrictions have had a huge effect on many people's ability to pay their rent. Derby Homes are able to offer support for landlords to help prevent homelessness through our Call B4 You Serve initiative.
Call B4 You Serve is a free-of-charge, specialist advice service for landlords. It is operated by Derby Homes on behalf of Derby City Council and provides tailored, free help and advice to private rented sector landlords in Derby who are having difficulties with tenants, and who may be considering serving a S21 or S8 notice for any reason.
We can offer:
- Support for you, in what can be a very stressful time
- A mediation service between you and your tenant
- Help to create a personalised housing plan for you and your tenant
- Help to resolve rent arrears and a financial assessment service (e.g. through Housing Benefit, Universal Credit, local government homeless prevention funds and charities)
- In-depth knowledge of Universal Credit and Housing Benefit
- A dedicated team for you to contact before you serve notice
- Advice and assistance for your tenants to help them sustain their tenancy with you
- Referrals and signposting to specialist services for longer-term support, if needed
- Advice and signposting about leasing your property to supported housing providers
Evicting tenants is an expensive and time consuming process. Our aim is to support both landlords and their tenants to sustain long term accommodation. We can also help by finding tenants for your empty properties, reducing the time your property remains void.
Free tenant-finding service
Our Private Rented Sector Team can offer:
- A free tenant finding service
- Access to a caseworker who will assist you and your tenant in getting a tenancy underway
- Affordability checks to ensure your tenant is able to meet the rent costs
- Housing Benefit payments made directly to you
- A dedicated benefit assessor to check your tenants benefit claim
- Financial assistance for tenants to help meet the costs of securing a tenancy in the private rented sector
- Inspection of your property in-line with the HHSRS (Housing Health and Safety Rating System)
Our caseworkers have a wealth of knowledge on housing, welfare benefits, homelessness legislation and housing related issues
The Private Rented Sector Access Team
Email: [email protected]
01332 956 4444
The Private Sector Housing Team is part of the Housing Options Service, managed by Derby Homes.
Are you living in a privately rented home and facing eviction or having trouble with your tenancy?
We provide free, impartial help and advice to resolve issues with your tenancy. We aim to work with your landlord to help prevent you from becoming homeless. If you’re worried about losing your home, get in touch with our specialist team.
We can offer:
- Support to you, in what can be a very stressful time
- Help to create a personalised housing plan for you and your landlord
- Help with rent issues and a financial assessment service
- Referrals and signposting to specialist services for longer-term support, if you need it
- A mediation service between you and your landlord
- Help to find another home if things can’t be resolved.
Looking to rent in the private sector?
Our team can give guidance and support if you want to rent a home from a private landlord, including:
- Advice and assistance about your options for housing in the private rented sector
- Affordability checks to ensure you are able to meet the rental costs of a new tenancy
- Signposting and referrals for assistance with money management/debt and other barriers that may be preventing you to access your own tenancy
- Financial assistance to help meet the costs of securing a tenancy (subject to affordability)
- Assistance to claim any housing benefit you may be entitled to
- Any housing benefit entitlement paid directly to your landlord
Housing Options Access Team
Email: [email protected]
Get in touch with us if you are threatened with becoming homeless or get more advice on Derby City Council's website.