Money and Welfare Rights Advice

Derby Advice is part of Derby Homes, based at the Council House. The team provides free, confidential and independent advice about:

  • Benefits and Welfare Rights – to all Derby residents
  • Money and debts – to Derby Homes tenants

Benefits Advice

We provide advice to all Derby residents regarding all types of benefits. If you need support about any aspect of claiming benefits or are unsure what you may be entitled to, there are a number of ways we can help you.

Contact us for advice directly

  • Make an appointment to see us at The Council House
  • Call us for advice – if you are a Derby resident, or a professional who represents or supports clients, you can call us for help
  • Book a home visit - if getting to The Council House is difficult for you, contact us to arrange a home visit

Post address:

Derby Advice
Derby City Council
The Council House
Corporation Street

Phone: 01332 643394

Minicom: 01332 640666

How else we can help

In the community

We offer weekly advice sessions around the city. Some are drop-in sessions; others are appointment only. Go to XYZ to find out where we hold sessions.e can also support residents who appeal benefit decisions and need representation at tribunals.

Supporting vulnerable people

We support in-patients at Royal Derby Hospital and London Road Community Hospital who are recovering from acute mental health problems. We also deliver advice from St Andrew’s House, London Road to community mental health teams and their clients.

We provide advice and guidance to people moving into their own homes after being in residential care and those in receipt of Adult Social Care.

In organisations

We work in organisations where employees are facing redundancy or where there may only be part-time/temporary employment opportunities.

You do not need to be renting a property managed by Derby Homes to access this service.

Money Advice

Our Money Advice Team provides free, confidential and independent advice around money/debt problems, budgeting, and all welfare benefits. This advice is available for:

  • Tenants renting a property managed by Derby Homes
  • Derby Councillors
  • Professionals working in Derby for voluntary sector organisations

If you are renting a property managed by Derby Homes and you owe money to other people or you are struggling with your finances, we can help by offering you an appointment with an independent money advisor.

We can help you:

  • if you’re struggling to pay your rent
  • if you need to know which benefits you may be entitled to
  • if you’re affected by the under-occupancy charge or benefit cap
  • if you have any benefit letters you are struggling to understand or respond to
  • plan your weekly and monthly budget
  • sort out your debts, identify the most important debts, and take action
  • negotiate with the people or companies you owe money to
  • with advice on court procedures, help with replying to court documents, and represent you at court appearances, where appropriate
  • deal with Debt Relief Orders or bankruptcy

Please email to arrange an appointment. We can arrange to see you at the following offices:

Brook Street

Stockbrook Street

Sussex Circus


Old Sinfin

Derby Advice Training

Derby Advice is the main provider of welfare rights and money advice training for public and voluntary sector organisations in the East Midlands. Contact Derby Advice to discuss your organisation's training needs. We can also help local councillors who represent Derby residents. For more information, please visit our Derby Advice Training page.

Frequently Asked Questions

What happens if I'm told I'm not entitled to welfare benefit or my benefit is being stopped?

Contact Derby Advice for advice about what you can do, and about appealing against the benefit decision. Don't delay, as there are strict time limits. If necessary, Derby Advice will represent you at an appeal tribunal.

How much benefit I am entitled to?

The amount of welfare benefit you are entitled to depends on your personal circumstances. Contact Derby Advice to find out how much welfare benefit you may be entitled to. This is a complex calculation and it’s helpful to speak to an adviser to get a full and accurate assessment.

What if I don’t rent a property managed by Derby Homes?

You can still get help by contacting the Citizens Advice Bureau on 01332 228700

If you are worried about paying your rent or mortgage, Shelter can provide advice to help prevent problems getting out of hand. Contact Shelter on:

Free telephone helpline: 0808 800 4444

If you are worried about becoming homeless

Derby Homes delivers the homeless service for Derby City Council. If you are in housing difficulty or homeless, we may be able to help. Go to the Advice if you are homeless page for more information.