Rent a garage
We manage a number of garages in the city that are available to rent. You don't have to be a Derby City Council or Derby Homes tenant or leaseholder to rent a garage from us.
About garage tenancies
Garages are managed as a weekly tenancy from Derby City Council (the Landlord). Derby Homes is the Council’s managing agent. Rent is payable monthly in advance by direct debit. You are responsible for keeping the inside of the garage clean, as well as maintaining the door and locks in good condition. You must also leave the garage in good condition and empty when the tenancy terminates. We will carry out repairs to the garage that result from fair wear and tear and ensure that the garage block and site are kept in good repair.
What you can use a garage for
Garages are primarily let for the purposes of storing a vehicle, but you can also rent one to store items or personal belongings with certain restrictions on what can be stored.
You must inform us if you wish to use the garage to store items other than a vehicle. This is so we can make sure it does not create a health and safety risk, or cause a nuisance.
- Assign or sublet your garage tenancy
- Use the garage as a shop, warehouse, workshop or laundry
- Hire or sell goods from within the garage
- Display any business sign or notice on the garage
- Store more than 2 gallons or 18 litres of petrol or flammable substances in the garage
- Carry out major repairs to any vehicle at the garage
- Act in any way which may cause nuisance, disturbance or annoyance to anyone living, visiting or working in the are
If you are interested in renting a garage, contact our Customer Services Team and let us know which area you are interested in. We either make an offer of a garage if one is available, or add you to the waiting list if not.