Our ServicesChoose a topic from the list below:
- Your Tenancy
- Golden Goodbye Scheme
- Paying your rent or service charge
- Direct Debit
- Standing Order
- Direct Payment
- Pay Online or by phone
- PayPoint and The Council House
- Problems paying your rent
- If you don't pay your rent
- Rent Free Weeks
- Claiming Housing Benefit
- Housing Benefit Surgeries
- Antisocial Behaviour
- Noise Nuisance
- Hate Crime
- Support available if you are experiencing Hate Crime
- Being a good neighbour
- Contact Streetpride
- Examples of ASB
- Derby Homes Community Trigger
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Introductory tenancies
- Helping you manage your home
- Tenancy Sustainment Service
- Intensive Housing Management Service
- Supporting people with mental health problems, physical & learning disabilities
- Repairs and Maintenance
- Report a repair
- Missed appointment schemes
- Improvements and alterations you can do
- Improvements we carry out
- Pest Control
- Home Safety
- Fire Safety
- Gas Safety
- Smoke Alarms
- Cold weather advice
- Furnished Tenancy Scheme
- Household Contents Insurance
- Living in flats
- Communal Areas in Flats
- Mobility Scooters and Flats
- Noise Nuisance in Flats
- Estates Pride
- Neighbourhood Working
- Estate Management
- Energy advice
- Service Charges
- Repair Responsibilities
- Leaseholder Focus Group
- Selling or Subletting your Leased Property
- Leasehold Management: Frequently asked questions
- Parking Permits
- Community Development
Associated Library documents
Stop Loan Sharks 0300 555 2222
Problems paying your rent
Help with your rent
If you are a Derby Homes tenant you need to make sure you don’t get behind with your rent payments, otherwise you could lose your home. If you can’t pay your rent, you must contact us straight away. If you’re on a low income or benefits you could get some or all of your rent paid for you.
Call us on 01332 888777 for advice on claiming Housing Benefit or to make arrangements to pay your rent.
If you are already claiming Housing Benefit you will need to report any change in your circumstances to Derby City Council as this may affect the Housing Benefits you receive.
Don’t leave it too late to get help.
Below are links to some key information contained on this page.
If you owe money to other people or you are struggling with your finances help is available. If you are a Derby Homes Tenant call us on 01332 888777 or contact Derby Money Advice on 01332 643395
If you are not a Derby Homes Tenant you can still get help by contacting the Citizens Advice Bureau on 01332 228700 or 01332 295711
One of the ways we can help is by offering you an appointment with an independent money advisor with Derby Money Advice
The advisor can help you:
- plan your weekly and monthly budget
- sort out your debts, identify the most important debts, and take action
- negotiate with the people or companies you owe money to
- give advice on court procedures, help with replying to court documents, and represent you at court appearances, where appropriate.
If you have borrowed money from a friend of a friend, from someone calling at your doorstep or someone you have met in the pub or social club and you don't have a receipt or know how much you have left to pay back, then it is possible that you are dealing with an illegal money lender or loan shark.
A loan shark is someone who lends money without the licence required by the Consumer Credit Act 1974.
If you think you're a victim of a loan shark, contact Stop Loan Sharks on 0300 555 2222 in strictest confidence.
Derbyshire Community Bank (trading name for Erewash Credit Union) and/or Midlands Community Finance can offer you loans at affordable rates so that you do not have to go to a loan shark.
Other services which may be of use to you:
There are various charitable food banks and schemes in Derby City. Please refer to the 'food banks' document on the right to get more information or click here.