Problems paying your rent

Help with your rent

If you are a Derby Homes tenant you need to make sure you don’t get behind with your rent payments, otherwise you could lose your home. If you can’t pay your rent, you must contact us straight away. If you’re on a low income or benefits you could get some or all of your rent paid for you.

Call us on 01332 888777 for advice on claiming Housing Benefit or to make arrangements to pay your rent.

If you are already claiming Housing Benefit you will need to report any change in your circumstances to Derby City Council as this may affect the Housing Benefits you receive.

Don’t leave it too late to get help.

Below are links to some key information contained on this page.

Dealing with debt

Loan Sharks

Credit Unions and Affordable Finance

Food banks

Dealing with debt

If you owe money to other people or you are struggling with your finances help is available. If you are a Derby Homes Tenant call us on 01332 888777 or contact Derby Money Advice on 01332 643395

If you are not a Derby Homes Tenant you can still get help by contacting the Citizens Advice Bureau on 01332 228700 or 01332 295711

One of the ways we can help is by offering you an appointment with an independent money advisor with Derby Money Advice

The advisor can help you:

  • plan your weekly and monthly budget
  • sort out your debts, identify the most important debts, and take action
  • negotiate with the people or companies you owe money to
  • give advice on court procedures, help with replying to court documents, and represent you at court appearances, where appropriate.

Mental Health and Debt

A free guide, "Mental Health & Debt" from looks at the relationship between #mentalhealth and debt and uses the guidance of a number of organisations (including Mind) to look at the issues in a practical way to show that you're not alone.

"Dealing with your debts may sound like a nightmare, but once you start it's much easier and less stressful than leaving them to fester."

Martin Lewis
Money Saving Expert

Back to top

Don't get involved with a Loan Shark

If you have borrowed money from a friend of a friend, from someone calling at your doorstep or someone you have met in the pub or social club and you don't have a receipt or know how much you have left to pay back, then it is possible that you are dealing with an illegal money lender or loan shark.

A loan shark is someone who lends money without the licence required by the Consumer Credit Act 1974.

If you think you're a victim of a loan shark, contact Stop Loan Sharks on 0300 555 2222 in strictest confidence.

Credit Unions and Affordable Finance

Derbyshire Community Bank (trading name for Erewash Credit Union) and/or Midlands Community Finance can offer you loans at affordable rates so that you do not have to go to a loan shark.

Back to top

Other services which may be of use to you:

Food Banks

There are various charitable food banks and schemes in Derby City. Please refer to the 'food banks' document on the right to get more information or click here.