Data Protection Act

The Data Protection Act (DPA) 1998 is a law that tells us how we should handle your personal information. It also provides you with the right of access to recorded information we hold about you.

We recognise that your personal information is important to you and will make sure that it is handled properly and confidentially at all times. We ask that you keep us informed – by email, telephone or in writing – of any changes in your personal data so that we can keep our records up to date at all times.

How do I make a request to see my information?

Your request must be in writing and must tell us which department you think holds personal information about you. You must also provide us with proof of your identity and a subject access request fee.

The subject access request fee is £10.00 per person. Make a cheque payable to Derby Homes Limited. Please do not send us cash.

We must provide you with your information within 40 calendar days after you have given us proof of your identity and paid the required subject access request fee.

If your information contains references to anyone else we may need to get their consent before we can disclose it to you. Sometimes we can edit the information to protect confidentiality of someone else's information but we will tell you if we do this.

To make it easier for you to make a request download the Data Protection Act – Subject Access Form (note for Paul – add link)

The form – or letter if you prefer, your fee and proof of your identity should be sent to:

The Company Solicitor 
Derby Homes Limited
839 London Road
DE24 8UZ

What proof of identify do I need to provide?

We accept any of the following originals as proof of identitty:

  •  Building society account book
  • Bus pass – issued by Derby City Council
  • Driving licence
  • Family allowance book
  •  Identity card – Civil Service, armed forces, police
  • National Health card
  • Pension book
  • Rent book
  • UB40 – unemployment benefit card.
  • Passport
  • Photo driving licence
  • Benefit entitlement letter to your current address
  • Any official letter from Revenues & Customs
  • Recent utility bill 

We do not accept birth certificates as proof of identity.

We will only use them to progress with your request and any originals you send us will be sent back to you by first class post unless you tell us you want it sending back by recorded delivery.

Can I get access to information about my child or children?

Yes, if they are under 12 years old. You will need to give us proof of your relationship to your child or children and may also need to give us proof that you have parental responsibility. This can be a birth certificate or a letter from a solicitor or a court.

If your child or children is over 12 years old we may have to ask them for their consent before we can give you their personal data. We will tell you if we need to do this.

Can I get access to someone else's personal information?

You can only get access to someone else's personal information if they have given us consent to do this.

Sharing your personal information

Sometimes we have to share or confirm personal information with other organisations. If we need to do this we will make it clear to you on the forms you complete giving us your information. This is called a Privacy Notice.

We will only share information when it is fair and lawful to do so.