Noise Nuisance in Flats

Nuisance caused by noise is the main area of conflict between neighbours living in flats. Playing music, listening to the radio and watching television are obvious sources of noise. Other sources of noise can include:

  • revving cars
  • slamming doors
  • shouting in the hallways and stairs, particularly at night
  • talking, hanging around or playing in communal areas.

A certain amount of noise is to be expected, but neighbours should not have to suffer from serious noise nuisance. In flats and maisonettes you may have neighbours above and below you as well as on either side – it is important to show consideration for all your neighbours. This is one reason why laminate flooring is not allowed in flats.

Tackling problems

If you have a problem with noise from your neighbours please talk to the person who is causing the noise. This is the best way of resolving problems and sometimes your neighbour may not realise their noise is bothering you.

Please speak to your Housing Office if this does not resolve the problem. They will be able to speak to your neighbour on your behalf and take steps to stop the nuisance. It may also be that an ASB Officer is allocated to deal with this in a more formal way if this is something that you would prefer.

Sometimes problems can be solved through mediation. This is particularly useful where there appears to be a clash of lifestyles or personalities.

Taking action

We can take legal action if this type of nuisance continues. In the most serious of cases we can serve a notice seeking possession advising the noisy tenant that Derby City Council / Derby Homes intends to go to court and ask for a court order to evict them from their home. Legal action however is Derby Homes’ very   last resort but we will take action to stop serious nuisance when we have to.

Derby City Council’s Environmental Services Team also has powers to deal with noise - if it is shown to be a ‘statutory nuisance’. They can serve abatement notices, which mean the neighbour must stop making the noise.

If someone ignores an abatement notice and continues to cause a noise nuisance, Environmental Services can take away equipment that is being used to make that noise – for example televisions, CD players or DIY equipment. They may also prosecute the person making the noise.