Household Contents Insurance

Allianz Home Contents Insurance

Making your home secure

For information on how you can make your home more secure, visit the website.


As a tenant you are responsible for taking out your own household insurance as Derby Homes does not insure your furniture, belongings or decorations against theft, fire, vandalism and burst pipes.

Derby Homes can offer contents insurance created especially for tenants at an affordable price, with a personal and quick claims service, underwritten with Allianz Insurance. See the downloadable form on the right for costs of insurance.

This scheme is open to all Derby Homes tenants. If you would like to know more about this please call the Customer Service Team on 01332 888777.

Payment of the premium

The cost of insurance is payable weekly along with your rent.  To work out your weekly payment, refer to the document 'Cost of Insurance', which is found on the top right of this page. Derby Homes offer a direct debit payment method, to find out more please refer to Direct Debit page.

Please note that Housing Benefit does not apply to insurance premiums

Insurance for your home contents

When you take out this insurance your household goods and contents will be insured in your home. The insurance also covers theft of your keys and the contents of your freezer.

Extended accidental damage, personal possession, hearing aids, wheelchairs, garden huts, garages and green houses are not covered as standard. However, extra cover is available at an extra cost. For more information please call the Customer Service Team on 01332 888777

What you are covered for

For details of the 'Policy Summary' please refer to the document found on the  top right  of this page. This will give you information on the main circumstances that are covered (such as fire, theft, and water damage). A policy booklet is available on request.

“New for old” insurance

All your home contents are covered by the policy on a ‘new for old’ basis, with the exception of linen and clothing which will be replaced at their current cost, less an amount for wear and tear. When you are working out the cost of your insurance, you will need to work out how much it will cost to replace the full contents. If you under-value your contents this will mean that if you claim you will not get the full value of your claim.

Special low, minimum sums insured

The lowest amount that can be insured is:

  • £6, 000 - £35, 0000 available to tenants aged 60 and over.
  • £9, 000 - £35, 0000 available to all tenants.

How to apply

Call us on 01332 888777 and ask to speak to a member of the Rental Control Team. They will send you a booklet or you can download a pack including an application form from the link on the right. You can also download a do it yourself valuation form to help you value your belongings.  

Complete the household contents application form, making sure you answer all the questions and sign the declaration. Please note that if your tenancy is in joint name both tenants will need to sign the application form.

If you need help completing the form, go to your local housing office, call us on 01332 888777, or email . Once you have completed the form hand it in at your local housing office or at our Head Office.

Keeping up the payments

To make sure that you are always covered, you must keep up to date with your payments.  Derby Homes can cancel the policy if your premium payments fall into arrears. You will not be allowed to make a claim unless your payments are up-to-date. If you owe rent, any payments will go first to rent and then to insurance. If you are behind with your rent, your insurance will not operate and you will not be able to make a claim. To make a claim your rent account must be up-to-date. 

Start date

Insurance starts when Derby Homes informs you that you have been accepted onto the scheme.  The start date will always be a Monday. We will write to you with details of your insurance payments and the date when you should start paying. You will be notified in writing if for any reason, you have not been accepted into the scheme.

Special notes

If during the period of your insurance cover your home is likely to be unoccupied (for example, if you are in hospital or taking an extended holiday) for more than 35 days in a row, you will have to advise Derby Homes. 

Remember, it is your responsibility to make sure that the sum insured is enough to cover all your household items and personal effects.

If you are a Derby Homes tenant, we strongly recommend that you take out household insurance, either through our special scheme or by making your own arrangements. 

We will treat all information provided in confidence and in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998. It will be used for the purpose of managing your tenancy. We may need to share it with other departments or organisations for a similar purpose. These include Housing Benefits, Derby Homes local housing offices, housing associations, Council Tax, The Benefits Agency, Probation Service, Police, Social Services and other local Councils. It may also be used for the prevention and detection of fraud or public fund misuse. It may be shared with other public bodies including the Cabinet Office (the successor to the Audit Commission) for a similar purpose. We may share your information with other housing providers or organisations for research purposes.