Non Dependant Deductions 2015/16

Important information for tenants claiming housing benefit

People aged 18 years and over that live with you are classed as "non-dependants" for benefit purposes. This includes any relatives who live with you. The financial circumstances of these people can affect how much benefit you receive. The higher their income, the more your Housing Benefit and Council Tax Benefit will be reduced. This is called a "non-dependant deduction". You are responsible for making sure that the full rent and Council Tax is paid, so you will have to ask your non-dependant to pay the shortfall. You should inform Derby Benefits if someone turns 18 whilst living with you.

Non dependant deductions usually increase every April.

If you or your partner are aged over 65 years, there will be no non-dependant charge for the first 26 weeks following the non-dependant moving in.

Housing Benefit deductions for 2015/16 (based on a 48 week year)

Non-dependant earnings (weekly)

Weekly deductions from April 2015

£407.00 or more


£327.00 - £406.99


£246.00 - £326.99


£189.00 - £245.99


£129.00 - £188.99


Less than £128.99
















To make sure you're claim is correct and you're receiving the right amount of benefits:

  • Check if your housing benefit claim details are up to date.
  • Make sure you have the correct income details for any people over 18 living with you
  • Is your non-dependant contributing enough? Their income will reduce the amount of housing benefit you receive and they may need to contribute more.
  • If you fall behind with your rent, even because of the non-dependant deductions, the whole household could be evicted.

If you are concerned about these changes or need more information, call our Income Management Team on 01332 888777.

Deductions for people living with you who are not in employment

Non dependant deductions don’t just apply to members of the household who are in employment. You may have your housing benefit reduced if someone living in your home is receiving a certain benefit. The table below shows if you may be affected and how much your benefit will be reduced. The amounts are calculated over a 48 week year.

Housing Benefit deduction rates 2015/16


If you or your partner get Attendance Allowance, Disability Living Allowance (care component) or are registered blind


If someone is only staying with you temporarily, or is on remand/in prison


The person living with you claims Pension Credit, regardless of circumstances


The person living with you is aged 16-17, or aged 18-24 on Income Support/ Income Based Job Seekers Allowance/Income-Related Employment and Support Allowance during assessment stage only (no component payable), or a full time student (any age unless working 16hrs+ during the summer holidays)


The person living with you is aged 18 or over and not in remunerative work, for example in receipt of:

 - Incapacity Benefit

 - Contribution Based Job Seekers Allowance

 - Contributory Employment and Support Allowance

 - Income-Related Employment and Support Allowance (unless under 25 and during assessment phase with no component payable)

 - Statutory Sick Pay (even where earnings are paid to top this up)

 - Statutory Maternity Pay (even where earnings are paid to top this up)

 - Work Based Training Allowance


The person living with you is aged 18 or over and working less than 16 hours a week


Anyone else living with you aged 18 or over



How Universal Credit will affect non-dependent deductions

When you move over to Universal Credit, non-dependant deductions will be replaced by Housing Cost Contributions. This will be a flat rate deduction from the Housing Allowance element of your Universal Credit. There will be a deduction for each person living with you aged 21years and over. The rate is likely to be around £65 per month.

Find out more about Universal Credit

Living with a council tenant: Information for non-dependants

If you are an adult living with the tenant(s) of a council property, for benefit purposes, you are classed as a ‘non-dependant’. This means that your income could reduce the amount of housing benefit the tenant receives. This is called a non-dependant deduction.

The council tenant(s) you are living with will need to pay more of their rent themselves because of you, so you need to make sure you are paying or contributing enough to the household budget.

Remember, if the tenant falls behind with their rent payments, the whole household could be evicted.