Derby Advice is citywide service that provides free confidential and independent advice about money, debt, benefits and welfare rights. It also the main provider of welfare rights and money advice training for public and voluntary sector organisations in the East Midlands. The service is made up of two teams.
Money Advice Team
The Money Advice Team provide money and debt advice for Derby Homes tenants only.
Welfare Rights Team
The Welfare Rights Team provide benefits and welfare rights advice for all residents of Derby.
As well as providing reactive money and benefits advice, the team also work:
- with local councillors who represent Derby residents
- at appeals or tribunals to support residents who appeal benefit decisions and need representation
- for in-patients at Royal Derby Hospital, and for patients at London Road Community Hospital who are recovering from acute mental health problems.
- to deliver advice to community mental health teams and their clients
- at events, working work with other organisations to make sure that people apply for the benefits they are entitled to
- with service users in adult social care, providing advice and guidance to people moving into their own homes after being in residential care
- in organisations where employees are facing redundancy or where there may only be part-time/temporary employment opportunities
- at employability workshops for young people who are not in employment, education or training
- on employment projects, for example helping people with learning disabilities to understand the financial impact of starting work