"Helping vulnerable people to maintain their homes and live more independently."
The Derby Homes Support Services work together to deliver a wide range of support for people who need help in their home or with their tenancy.
We have various areas of specialist areas of support available. If you feel that you, a friend, or a family member could benefit from any of the support services available, you can call us on 01332 888578.
What are Support Services?
Our clients have their own Support Worker who:
- meets with them to discuss their support needs
- works with them to create a support plan to identify what help is needed
- sees them regularly to work through the support plan and review progress
- liaises with other agencies to provide a complete support package for clients.
The Supported Living Service was launched in February 2007 to replace the traditional sheltered housing warden service provided by Derby Homes. Our Support Officers visit clients on a daily, weekly or monthly basis, depending on their needs. During these visits we work with clients to develop a risk and needs assessment and use this information to create a jointly agreed support plan.
Our aim is to help clients stay in their home, maintain their independence, and get involved in local community events or other activities if they want to. We provide a quality service delivered by well trained and professional staff, and continuously improve the service by consulting with our clients and stakeholders.
All enquiries are dealt with in the strictest of confidence and this confidentiality continues throughout the support period and after it comes to an end.
Help available from the Supported Living team
We offer a range of support to our clients, including:
- Help to get an emergency alarm system
- Advice about other agencies and arranging for clients to receive more specialist support or services if needed
- Providing support to help clients organise their own social activities or tripsMaking clients feel safe and secure in their home, for example, by helping them report repairs or offering advice on home improvements
- Helping clients manage their finances and benefit claims
- Working with clients to set up and maintain their home or tenancy
- Providing information about local community groups, religious or other social support groups and helping clients to access them.
The Tenancy Support Service ended on 31 March 2013. We can no longer accept referrals.
Mental Health and Housing
We have a Senior Support Officer for Mental Health and Housing who can give specific advice on the following areas:
- Direct case management of complex cases
- Their mental well being
- GP and hospital appointments
- How to access the Homefinder system and find the most appropriate accommodation
- Liaising with other mental health agencies
- Claiming welfare benefits
- Other mental health support.
Adaptations for elderly or disabled tenants
We can make alterations to your home if you need them. Examples are stair lifts, ramps and grab rails. We need a request from Social Services to do this. Your Housing Office can pass on your request or give you the telephone number of your nearest Social Services Office.