10 year celebrations
Derby Homes is 10 years old in April 2012, and to celebrate this, plus the awarding of a further 10 year contract, staff are committing themselves to a range of activities, including events such as a quiz night and projects to build the first Council owned bungalows in Derby for 25 years
The staff are planning a range of activities to celebrate this anniversary:
Derby Home has sponsored the Team Derby Homes 10K runners in the Derbyshire 10 K run held on Sunday 1 April .
The team of 8 runners Pippa Wood, Rebecca Ward, Mazer Ali, Pete Howell, Lisa Newman, Steve Hawksworth, Phil Davies, Annabelle Barwick, came 49 out of 71 teams. 3127 people ran in total, and a special congratulations goes to Phil Davies who came in 3123rd
£520 sponsorship was raised in total, of which Derby Homes contributed to as part of its 10 year celebration activities.
The charities to benefit were:
British Heart Foundation - Derby Homes Charity £425
Rainbows – £75
Sporting Futures - £20
Derby Home has made a £250 donation to a Derby County In The Community Project which will see a group of volunteers visit Kenya in May 2012 to help rebuild a school
On May 27th 2012, via African Adventures, 13 volunteers from Derby County FC will travel to Nakuru, a town three hours north-west of Nairobi, to embark on a community and education project. Kenya is a country where half of the nation live off less than 60p a day, 40% of the nation are unemployed and 20% of children do not live to see their fifth birthday so the need for such support is enormous.
The volunteers will be placed in the newly opened St. Trizah school which educates boarding and orphaned children aged of 5-13. St. Trizah was opened in 2007 by Yuvenalis Mokua (pictured below), when he decided to try to help the thousands of children in the Ronda slums who live in poverty and without an education, regular meals, clean clothes and even parents. However, at the end of 2011, the landlord refused to renew the tenancy for St. Trizah and the school was quickly faced with the difficult challenge of relocating to a site which held future prospects of ownership. After weeks of negotiations, and support from both African Adventures and a previous volunteer, the school moved to a spacious site around 10 minutes’ drive away.
Derby County’s volunteers will spend 10 days at the school supporting classroom lessons, helping to prepare meals for the children and complete the school build. Each team member has been tasked with raising £2,050 for the trip, 70% will go towards funding the trip to Kenya and remaining 30% will be put towards sustaining Derby County in the Community’s Disability Officer who delivers sessions throughout Derbyshire for children and adults with physical and/or mental disabilities.
£200 was donated to Brackendale Junior School to enable them to purchase some goalposts for girls football
Derby Homes will buy and plant 10 trees ( the city board rep and a junior warden will plant each one in their area.)
Staff photo montage
Banners depicting staff working at Derby Homes are on display at Housing Office receptions